Aurora History Overview

A Mystery Package

Wealth of Aurora’s History Delivered in a “Mystery Box”

Last week the Aurora Historical Society received delivery of what is being referred to as a ‘Mystery Box” packed with a wealth of items pertaining to Aurora’s history. The “mystery box” was shipped to the museum without a letter of information as to who had sent the items. The clue was the shipping label from “Mailman Joey’s” out of Melbourne, Continue reading →

Posted by admin in Aurora History Overview, Museum, Photos, 0 comments

Memorial Day Display Case

Donna Mattmuller did a fine job putting together the display in the library front hall using photos and items from the archives. A Ladies Auxiliary project.

 

DSCN2991

Posted by admin in Aurora History Overview, Photos

Geauga Lake Park Opens Again

 

The Aurora Historical Society is proud to present its new exhibition on Geauga Lake Park. It features photographs of the park that are nearly 100 years old, as well as information, photographs, and artifacts about the rides, employees, and souvenirs.  The examples come from the AHS’s artifact collection, loan from Jeff Clark,  Jean Rumbold, and other generous donors from the local area.  The exhibition showcases the rich history of Geauga Lake Park and allows the viewer to relive their favorite memories of the park.

There are areas of key interest to this exhibit.  One particular subject of interest would be the rides. This portion presents all of the rides found in Geauga Lake Park from its inception, until it closed its doors in 2007. The viewer will see the rides broken down into specific sections based on the type of ride. For example, the Old-Time Favorites section includes classic Geauga Lake rides like the Merry Old Mobiles, Rocket Ships, and the Carousel.  Another section of the exhibit that is sure to draw a lot of attention is the Caricatures. Given to the AHS by Cedar Fair once the park closed, these drawings were seen on display daily at the park. AHS is now the proud owner of over a hundred of these drawings and is excited to display them for our visitors.

We encourage visitors to stop by and share their favorite memories of the park, whether it was riding the Big Dipper for the first time or spending quality time with your family. The person who tells the best memory will be given one of our Geauga Lake Park ornaments as a gift. We look forward to seeing you there!

The Geauga Lake Park Exhibition will be up until September 2012.  The museum is open to the public every Monday and Wednesday from 2-4 pm or by appointment on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.  Group tours are always welcome.

Posted by admin

Aurora High Girls Basketball, Repeating History?

The Aurora High School’s 1924 Victorious Girls' Basketball Team. 1st row seated l-r: Nellie (Nella) Isham & Mabel Jackson, second row, Agnes Dreyer, Coach & Principal J.O. Fox, & Alice Dreyer, third row, Lois Riley, Leila Riley, Florence Dreese. The Dreyer twins in the second row are Donna Mattmuller and Jane Burns' Mother and Aunt.

The Aurora High School’s 1924 Victorious Girls' Basketball Team. 1st row seated l-r: Nellie (Nella) Isham & Mabel Jackson, second row, Agnes Dreyer, Coach & Principal J.O. Fox, & Alice Dreyer, third row, Lois Riley, Leila Riley, Florence Dreese. The Dreyer twins in the second row are Donna Mattmuller and Jane Burns' Mother and Aunt.

The 2010 Aurora High School Girls Basketball team is on a winning streak, hopefully to end the season with the conference championship. If history repeats itself, they will join their 1924, 1925, and 1927 counterparts in sharing this honor. The Aurora High School Girls Basketball teams of 1924, 1925, and 1927 were champions in Portage County. Their coach, as well as the principal of Aurora High School and coach for the Boys Football and Basketball teams during the 1924-25 seasons was J.O. Fox who proved to be proficient in his role. The girls competed in the 7th Annual Basketball Tournament of the Portage County Schools, held in Kent, on March 15, 1924. Class A preliminary games were played in the Roosevelt High School Gymnasium while the Class B games were played in the Congregational Church Gymnasium.

All the final games, played late in the afternoon and early evening of the same day, were held in the Roosevelt Gym. According to The 1924 Speedometer, Portage County Schools’ year book, “…the big green team of Aurora engaged the fighting reds from Edinburg. Although Aurora ruled a favorite, the lassies from the northwest met the most determined opposition, and were thankful to earn a 17 to 12 decision.” Further in the recap of the team’s season noted that, “In the final Class B Girls’ game, Aurora romped away with the contest; the score was Aurora 37, Paris 10.” The girls were playing in new uniforms that year, and from looking at a picture of the team from 1924, it appears that they wore short sleeved tee-shirts, skirts, knee socks, and high top tennis shoes.

The 8th Annual Basketball Tournament was held on March 14, 1925, in the same gymnasiums as the previous year’s contests. The 1925 Speedometer again recounted the action, “…The final game of the “B” preliminaries was between Paris and Aurora girls. This game proved to be a real fight with only one or two points separating the teams at any time until the last few minutes when [Mable] Jackson of Aurora got free for four field goals which decided the game in favor of Aurora, 17 to 9.” The Plain Dealer, in its coverage of the tournament, stated that “The Aurora girls’ team has not lost a game in three years.”

Less information was found for the 1927 team, with the comment from The 1927 Speedometer that “Both the boys’ and girls’ teams are making a creditable showing this season although several games have been lost. The loss of three regular players on last year’s squad crippled the girls to some extent but they are playing a fine game under the leadership of Captain Nella Isham.” Looking at the win-loss record, the girls’ team was impressive with a record of 8-2 under coach Deane Eberwyne.

Interesting facts about some of the players: local residents Mrs. Donna Mattmuller and her sister Mrs. Jane Burns are the daughters and nieces of two of the players, known around school as the “tall twins” Alice and Agnes Dreyer. By 1927, The Speedometer reported that Alice Dreyer married Mr. Miller and was a housewife, while her sister Agnes was a clerk. Lois Riley graduated Valedictorian of her 1927 class, Captain Nellie Isham was her high school’s class president, Leila Riley was a student at Kent’s Normal School (a teacher training school), Florence Dreese was a clerk, and Mabel Jackson was working as a maid.

We all hope that history will repeat itself with another winning season for the Aurora High School Girls Basketball Team. It certainly adds an interesting aspect to the history and sports of our area.

The Aurora High School’s 1924 Victorious Girls’ Basketball Team. 1st row seated l-r: Nellie (Nella) Isham & Mabel Jackson, second row, Agnes Dreyer, Coach & Principal J.O. Fox, & Alice Dreyer, third row, Lois Riley, Leila Riley, Florence Dreese. The Dreyer twins in the second row are Donna Mattmuller and Jane Burns’ Mother and Aunt.
Posted by admin in Aurora History Overview, Museum

The New Pages

This is the first page of the new redesign of the site.

The photos above will fill the page horizontally and there will be more color and more information. I need to set up a basic structure first and then add bells and whistles.

This is designed using wordpress which should give us flexibility for contributing and updating as well as a lot of other features like photo galleries, and more.

Posted by admin in Aurora History Overview